Sciadopitys verticillata – Japanese umbrella pine. Attractive tree of exotic appearance;
- conical habit,
- very slow growth, after 10 years reaches 1m height,
- thick, shining, dark-green needles,
- characterised by needles shaping umbrellas,
- good tolerance for polish conditions,
- should be planted in lee positions in permeable and slightly acidic soils,
- -grows well in sunlit and semi-shadowed positions,
- recommended for home and oriental gardens as well as a solitaire tree.
Japanese umbrella pine is an endemic plant – in natural conditions it appears only in Japan. More and more frequently planted in polish gardens. The biggest specimen of the plant is located in an arboretum in Wojsławice.