Sciadopitys verticillata ‘Sternschnuppe’ – Japanese umbrella pine has very thick needles located at the top of the shoot;
- conical, compact habit,
- after 10 years reaches 1 metre height,
- firm, chunky and dark-green needles,
- characterised by a diploidy – visible double fused needles,
- requires lee positions. Grows well in permeable soils,
- should be planted in sunlit or semi-shaded positions,
- recommended for home and oriental gardens, for rockeries and as a solitaire tree.
One of the most often purchased Japanese umbrella pines. Characterised by a strong frost resistance.